3 September 2009

Gimme shoes! My preciousssss!


I’m going to a ‘do’ next week and am wondering what on earth to wear. Actually, my biggest problem this time isn’t even finding clothes that fit – it’s finding shoes.

For as my darling husband loves to point out, I have Hobbit feet.

It’s true. I don’t know what mum and dad put in my baby formula but today I walk the Shire in substantial size 9s in what must be a treble Z fitting, and finding shoes that fit, let alone that I like, is torture.

OK, it’s got a wee bit easier over the years since a few retailers took pity and introduced special hobbit sections (usually in a dark corner at the back of the store, presumably where we won’t scare the other customers) but we are still poorly catered for when it comes to shoes with a bit of pizzazz or colour.

Being a practical lass, I cope with my condition – known in Hobbit circles as ‘crippling shoe deficiency’ - fairly well. If I find a nice pair that fits I get quite giddy. I've even been known to hug shop assistants who find me shoes that don’t make me look like a hospital orderly! But it's dressier occasions like the one I’m going to next week that are the real nightmare.

So if you see reports of Bigfoot sightings at Edinburgh Castle next week, spare a kind thought!

Chill! Losing weight is hard enough!

Feel like snacking? Go pop some bubble wrap instead!