19 August 2009

And now for the science part...


Since I started this blog I've been watching how other people eat. You see I've had a theory for some time that goes something like this…

Women out dining with other women (especially groups of female friends) eat bigger portions and less healthily than women who are eating with men – especially couples.

What on earth is that about? Is it evolution? Is it some kind of ancient unspoken female bonding ritual? Does the phenomenon apply to all women? Are we just greedy but don't want men to think we are?

Or is there something fishier going on? Do men actually have the power to make women lose their appetites? And if they do, why hasn't someone made a mint out of that idea! (I'll stick my TM on it now if that's ok!)

What a breakthrough! Imagine the ads...

"WOMEN, SOLVE YOUR WEIGHT PROBLEMS INSTANTLY. EAT WITH A MAN!"

The merchandising opportunities could be interesting too. Blow up male dolls might even become acceptable in polite company. 'Him? Good heavens no, we're not dating! He's just helping me lose these last few stubborn pounds!'

Anyway, flights of fancy aside, all this lurking behind laptops and snooping behind newspapers might eventually get me thrown out of my favourite local cafe, so I decided to see if there was any real research going on to substantiate my theory...

And would you believe it, there is!…

See http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/08/090805114616.htm

Chill! Losing weight is hard enough!

Feel like snacking? Go pop some bubble wrap instead!